Friday, October 25, 2013

Green Papaya salad - low calorie, no salt, no sugar

I have three papaya trees growing in my backyard. I seeded them last October, and they have done very well, except the fruit is not ripening. We are now approaching the frost season here in Florida, so I wanted to make use of these abundant green papayas. Searching the net for the recipes, I could only yield high sugar or high oil recipes, which I did not want. So, I sort of experimented, and the result came out very good. The salad is juicy, low calorie, low fat, no salt, and delicious. Care to try.

1. Get a green papaya, or two to yield about two pounds. Cut lengthwise and remove the seeds inside.
2. Peel the papaya, then grate the flesh into a large bowl.
3. Get a few carrots - proportion should be about 1 to 4, or 25% carrots to 75% of papaya. Grate the carrots into the same bowl.
4. Get a tablespoon of peanut butter (I used organic, no sugar added) and warm it up in a skillet with a tablespoon of soy sauce (I used liquid aminos). Add that mixture to the graded papaya and carrot and mix well
5. Peel and crush four cloves of garlic and add to the mixture
6. Get some green herbs that you like, parsley, cilantro, or what have you. I did not have any of that, so I chopped some scallions. Add to the mixture.
7. Squeeze a half of a lemon or lime into the salad and mix well.
8. Add four - five drops of liquid stevia, or other sweetener of your choice, to taste.

That's all to it. Here's the result:

No comments:

Post a Comment