Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pizza sauce from scratch

Here's how I make pizza sauce from scratch.

1. Gather all the ingredients: tomatoes, onion, garlic, fresh herbs like parsley and basil, hot pepper (optional) and some sweet fruit, like melon or even banana. I don't use refined sugar or artificial sweeteners, so I need to add some sweet fruit to the sauce. Here's my usual ingredients for the pizza sauce:


From this picture I only used about an inch length from the pepper because it was very hot. Add salt and other seasonings to taste. Process everything in a food processor, or if you don't have one, just chop everything by hand. Put in the pot and simmer for an hour. You should see the sauce thicken as liquid evaporates:


If you were not using a food processor, you might want to press cooked sauce through the colander to reduce chunks. This is it. If you are making pizza, let the sauce cool before spreading on the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment